Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Day 207

Tuesday, March 28, 2017


Places/Activities: Today I kept Squeak home from school and me, my mom, and the kids all went to DC for the morning. We went to see two exhibits at the National Geographic Museum. It was really neat. I think that they would have gotten more out of it if they were a few years older, but we had fun and they got exposure, which was the point. There was an Instagram exhibit - which was actually really neat. If you are into photography, you would really appreciate this one. The other exhibit was much more hands on and targeted toward kids. Kids got to really get involved in being a National Geographic Explorer and got to see different animal tracks, pretend to fly in a hot air balloon, check out equipment explorers use, etc. There was lightbox for looking at images of insects, a submersible tank to go into and pretend to be a deep sea diver, a jeep to drive, etc. It was very fun and the kids really enjoyed themselves. It's the perfect trip to take as a family - there's lots to learn from this experience if you have kids that are interested in nature, exploring, etc. There is some very reasonably priced food in the National Geographic Society's cafeteria next door in the next building - and it's very affordable (unlike most museum food in DC). However, I usually bring lunch along for the kids just because it's easier!

After we got home for naps, a friend messaged me that she was in the area and wanted to know if she could stop over for a play date. Um, YES! I love random visits from friends. It was nice for Squeak to have a playmate her own age (even though she was slow to warm up because she was very into a comic book about bats). 


Reading: I honestly didn't have any time for reading for myself today. However, Squeak and I are reading about magnets in the Magic School Bus book: Amazing Magnetism. Pretty good stuff!


Recipes: No recipes today. Just a reheat of some freezer items!

Random Thoughts:Sometimes I get these hair brain ideas. I think that's probably just my nature. Like the time when friends and I were so pumped from teaching kids I was like, "Hey! Let's write a book!" which turned into 4 books with two friends. Sometimes my ideas work, other times they don't. By "work" I mean, sometimes they come to fruition. I know the ideas will work, it's just a matter of having the time and commitment for them. So... I've got a idea. At some point in the near future, I won't be a stay at home mom anymore. I'll be a working mom. Most likely until the point that I retire. I think I've got some ideas in place that I want to put on a trial run. Not sure if I'm ready for a big commitment, but if I can make something for myself that I can do in my own time and on my own terms, that I can handle. Something for the long term. So, when this year is over and this blog is finished, I'm going to give my new plan a go and see what happens! I'm pretty excited about it - now if I can just put together a sample this summer, I'll run it by my peeps and see what you think!









No comments:

Post a Comment