Saturday, October 1, 2016

Day 29

Saturday

10.1.16

Feeling about the same as yesterday. Not really sick, but not feeling 100% well either. Thankfully Avy wasn't as snotty today and Puff seems to be totally her normal pleasant self. Squeak is about over it (and is pretty pleasant, so that's a good sign). Just hanging in there and eating popsicles for dessert (there's always an up side).

People: No interactions with people today other than seeing our neighbors across the way at the Home Depot monthly workshop this morning.

Places/Activities: Squeak and I went out this morning to the monthly Home Depot workshop. She's really getting quite good at painting now. She was pretty pleased with her fire truck. While there we stopped to pick up some new handles for the train table. Riley was disappointed that we did not purchase the $6 a piece "jewel" knobs (insert eye roll here). Good grief.

After the babies had their afternoon naps and bottles, we made a very quick to the craft store (for some activities I have in mind) and to Costco. It's so nice when D is home and we can tag team. We take turns hopping in and out of the car to run in for whatever is needed, while the other stays in the van to entertain and monitor children.

Good Deeds: While at Home Depot this morning, I also purchased some mouse repellant to put in the generator. Hopefully they will be disgusted by the smell and not enter the generator rather than get in there and eat the poison that also awaits them. I really don't want to kill them, just prevent them from causing damage to the generator.

Chores: A load of laundry and just the usual cleaning up after the children. That is always a given.

Reading: I received a leather bound gold leafed edition of Moby Dick by Herman Melville from my mother for Christmas over two decades ago. It's been sitting on my shelf begging to be read for quite some time. I decided that it was either now or never. So, here I am… making a dent in the book. I can't say I love it. The language is a bit difficult to follow at times. It's not bad, just not my style. But, I think it's really important to read outside of your comfort zone every once in a while. So, that's what I'm doing. I also think that I missed out on a lot of the classics growing up and so I need to catch up on them now.

Random Thoughts: October is always a month I've loved since I was very young. Trees are changing colors, promises of trips to the orchard for apples, carving pumpkins with my father, having a cup of spiced cider with my mom, telling my dad what I wanted to be for Halloween and him making my costume for me… (hopefully at least one of you will want me to make you a costume from cardboard and trash bags at some point).

It is also a month that has brought major anxiety in the past and is typically filled with dread. I wrote a little stanza when I was a youngster, and it has always stuck with me…

 My October hell fell on the fifth of the month
embracing each moment into strangulation
you closed the door…
and I emerged

Sometimes you have to go backward in order to go forward. And sometimes you have to think about the past in order to realize how far it is you've come. How much you've overcome. How much you've thrived. Don't ever give up. If you are lucky, you will fail many times in your life. Why? Because through failure you learn to appreciate success so much more. And it is through many many failures that I have you three beautiful children in my life. And that is one small reason why you are loved so very much. 

Double trouble teamwork!

A: Can I peek over your shoulder and see
what you are reading, Squeak?




No comments:

Post a Comment