Friday, March 3, 2017

Day 180 & 181

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 & Thursday, March 2, 2017


Yesterday was spent doing pretty much nothing. The babies and I played in the basement, and hung out at home most of the day with the exception of stopping by Squeaker's school to pick up kindergarten registration forms. I seriously can't believe my baby is going to KINDERGARTEN next year! How does time fly SO quickly!?


People: While we didn't see anyone yesterday, today we stopped off at the library where my peeps work to say hello and to pick up some books for my drawing a day project and a cool bat book that one of my favorite peeps set aside for me. Let me just say... even librarians need librarians. I honestly don't know what I would do without my friends I met while working at the library over 15 years ago. They love my kids as if they were their own, they lend a shoulder when I fall asleep at bookclub, and they are always looking out for me. What more could I wish for?


Places/Activities: While yesterday was very chill, today we more than made up for it. Stroller Barre class for me this morning, visit to the library, dance class in the afternoon, and yoga in the evening. Hopefully I actually sleep through the night tonight instead of my usual bout of insomnia from around midnight/1am - 3/4am.

Another thing I've learned about myself this year (which I kind of already knew)... I STINK at group exercise. Unless it's yoga. I'm still not a wonderful yoga student, but at least I really enjoy it and find it relaxing. But seriously. I'm about the most uncoordinated, ridiculous looking person ever when it comes to group exercise. I'm not self conscious about it anymore, but I am self aware that I am fumbling all over the place. I also really dislike it. So, after finishing up my stroller barre class this morning, I think I've gotten group exercise out of my system and will stick with yoga, walking, and the elliptical. Those are things I can handle and enjoy!


Chores: Laundry, dusting, vacuuming, changing/making all the beds, and bathing children. Yes, bathing children DOES count as a chore! Good grief! Here you can see the set up. I run the tub while I vacuum a room or two while the twins hang out downstairs getting into mischief (which usually involves emptying all of the shoes off of the shoe bench, so no biggie). I'm all for whatever will keep them safely occupied!

Reading: Today Squeak and I read The Magic School Bus: Butterfly Battle. Not only do I love that Squeak gets so excited for books (if I am reading to a baby, she will literally drop whatever she is doing and run over to put her head on my shoulder to follow along with the book even if it's a simple "baby" book of pointing to and naming animals) but I love that reading inspires new ideas of things to do, places to visit, things to question, and things to learn. Can guess where we will be going at some point in the near future??

I'm still reading book number 57 in my 100 book goal for my year as a stay at home mom. It's called, !n Pr@ise *f Pr#fanity by Michael Adams. I'm almost finished though!


Random Thoughts: Last night as we were putting the twins to bed, it was rough. Like, REALLY rough. They have been fighting bedtime in full force and it is absolutely exhausting and stressful all at the same time. Full body throwing, screaming, clawing, and hitting. When your kid weighs around 30 pounds and is STRONG, it's hard to hold them and protect them when they are throwing themselves around. So last night, Puff was at her absolute worst (Bear has always been this way, but is completely asleep after about 60 seconds). It dawned on me that we don't do things quite the same way as we used to when it was just Squeak. So, I went back in her room, picked her up, and read her two books, held her, and sang her a song. Like I used to do when I just had only one baby. It was lovely. She cooed and smiled and settled in to sleep as I left the room and there was no more crying. I realized then that sometimes we work so hard to make things "fair" for each of the kids. But life isn't fair. And sometimes there will be times when one kid is going to need more than another and we will have to adjust and make do. It was also a realization on my part that we need to have a better calm down routine in place. We go right from playing to bedtime. I've been telling myself that it isn't necessary to read to the babies before bed because I read to them ALL. DAY. LONG. Seriously. Each kid gets no less than 25 books a day. It's RIDICULOUS. But obviously no matter how many books they get during the day, we are going to need to add them back into our nightly routine because it really helps keep the calm.

Recipes: Today I tried making a new oatmeal which I plan on modifying so that I can use it in the crockpot. I prefer crockpot recipes that I can just let sit for a few hours and go about doing my thing while stuff cooks. When I modify the recipe I'll be sure to post! This is carrot cake oatmeal. It turned out really well, but I'd like to make it a bit easier to make. I don't have time to stand around and wait for water to boil! Seriously. 






No comments:

Post a Comment