Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Day 199

Monday, March 20, 2017

Places/Activities: This morning the twins and I drove up to the Rosedale location of Storyville (there are two Storyville locations). It was pretty fantastic. So much to see, and so much to play with there. The twins did not want to leave. We are going to have to visit Storyville again very soon. I think we'll try the one closer to home next time! It is just amazing to me that this place is FREE! I have been to the other location as well, but not with the twins. There are similarities and differences to both. Ultimately, I don't think you will be disappointed with either location - they are both amazing. But the Storyville location in Woodlawn has a bit more space - which is nice when there are a lot of adults standing around watching kids. It was hard to maneuver around everyone to reach the kids during certain points. It also really picked up and got pretty busy around 11am - try and go early when they first open to avoid the crowds.

Good Deeds:This afternoon when Squeak and I went to Rita's for our free first day of Spring Italian ice, a large group of adults were bused in from a local center for adults with disabilities. There were so many people that came in all at once, and there was a line right next to our table. Many of the adults engaged in conversation with Squeak. She smiled and spoke with them. Then a man gave her a very elaborate Mickey Mouse balloon he had made. It was amazing! See photo for details. She was just thrilled. I asked the man (whose name is Robert) if he was self taught or if he followed a pattern in a book. He remarked that he watched a lot of YouTube videos. At first it was very hard to learn, but then he got it. He must make them all the time because he was wearing a belt filled with a rainbow of colored balloons just waiting to be turned into something else. He carried a bag with a partially finished Ariel balloon and it was quite remarkable. So, a shout out to Robert Jr - thanks for making Squeaker's day! She hopes the balloon stays inflated until Wednesday so she can take it to show and tell at school. She has been talking about you and your balloon making talent all day!

Chores: Laundry and kitchen clean up.

Reading: I started reading Commonwealth by Ann Patchett. I'm going to need to pick up the pace though. I have another book I need to read before Friday, too! Squeak and I have back on our Magic Tree House kick. We have also been reading books about sea life so that we can fill out our bookmark I picked up last week for passes to the Aquarium. Very exciting!

The finished product!
Recipes: Check out who got busy with the cooking today! Ha! I forgot to mention yesterday that I did end up making some baby food for a friend of mine - banana+pear+kiwi. It was awesome.  I swear I didn't eat it all this time. But, I did get inspired to go back to making smoothies. I haven't been as good about eating fruit lately. Probably because I don't really sit and eat. So, this morning I made a banana kiwi and blueberry smoothie. It was fabulous. I was thinking to myself, "this is so easy, and so good, and full of protein and goodness... why don't I make these when I go back to work..." and then I looked in the mirror and remembered why it is that I stopped making smoothies... my teeth!! COVERED in specks of blueberry skin. I looked like my teeth were rotting out. No way I can drink one of those before work unless I brush my teeth a second time before leaving the house. There's no way I'd have time for that. As for the smoothie recipe here ya go. In a blender, combine 5.3oz of vanilla greek yogurt (this is just a standard container from Wegmans), a ripe banana, 1/3cup of blueberries, and 1 kiwi. Blend together until smooth. Add milk until you reach your desired consistency. 


I also made a Turkey Pesto Slow Cooker Lasagna - which was fantastic! All three kids even scarfed it down! I did end up substituting beef for the turkey and we were fresh out of onions, so we did without. It was quite delicious. I think when I go back to work this will have to be a recipe I make one the weekend due to the 3 hour cook time. It's not like I would have the luxury of popping home and throwing it all together mid day so that it was ready when I got home from work. I will also say, getting the lasagna out of the slow cooker was a challenge. The foil strips that I cut tore easily. I think next time I'm going to fold strips instead of cut them to make them thicker and to provide a bit more support when it's time to pull the lasagna out of the crock pot!





Random Thoughts:Bravery? Or stupidity? Normally (especially when taking the kids out by myself) I always use a stroller. It's much easier to wheel them around wherever it is we are going. However, this morning I decided to try something different. I decided to throw the diaper bag over my shoulder, and get the kids out and have them old my hand to walk into the library and Storyville. Good grief!! That was a workout all on its own! I then realized that I didn't have enough hands to check out books and take children back to the van afterward. So, I left the books, loaded the kids, and ran back in to get them. Kinda crazy! On the one hand it was very challenging and I don't want to do it again. But on the other hand, I don't want my kids to be lazy and get used to being constantly pushed around. How will they learn if they don't get practice? But then I think back to walking out of the building and having Bear constantly turn to jello legs and drop himself on the ground while at the same time Puff was trying to pull ahead. We were a sight to be seen! Not to mention, carrying around a big old diaper bag (normally it hangs on the back of the stroller) is kind of a pain when trying to keep up with twins. I even managed to knock down a toddler while in Storyville (I made sure she was fine) but it made me think about how I'll handle things the next time I decide to take the twins out without a stroller.

No comments:

Post a Comment