Monday, September 12, 2016

Day 10

Monday
9.12.16

People: No interactions with anyone today in person other than a quick hello to the teachers at Squeaker's school. Though I did give my uncle a call. His birthday was yesterday and I called and left a message yesterday, but I much prefer to talk to someone when wishing them a happy birthday rather than leaving a message.
Some little Puff was begging for food
this morning. Tugging on my leg until
I shared some of my egg sandwich with
her.

Places/Activities: Today we hung out at home. By the time I workout in the morning, give babies bottles, take a walk with the babies, come inside and feed them breakfast, put them down for naps, it takes up quite a bit of time. During morning nap I do whatever needs my immediate attention - paying bills, laundry, cleaning up breakfast, etc. Then I fit in some time for myself to read and/or write before taking a quick shower before the babies get up. We have a little time to read books and play before bottles and then it's time to get Squeak from school. Then it's lunch, nap, and I try and take care of meal prep during this time, or other chores that need to be accomplished. As I'm crossing off all of the things I have on my "to do" list for the long term, I'm looking forward to more time for fun later. After naps, we have snacks/bottles and then play/read or go outside until D gets home from work.

Good Deeds: You know the saying, "no good deeds go unpunished?" Well… today was that kind of day. We subscribe to a service called Hungry Harvest. You can get a mini harvest delivered straight to your door for only $15 a week. Ours is delivered on Saturdays. It's a local business (you may have even seen them on Shark Tank) and has saved hundreds of thousands of pounds of produce from going to waste. It's worth checking out! Anyway, so included in this week's box was a large zucchini. So I decided to make double chocolate zucchini muffins and figured I would deliver some to our neighbors. Since the zucchini was so huge, I made a double batch and still had an entire cup of shredded zucchini left. Well, I had two trays full of muffins. I put them in for 20 minutes, tested them (toothpick came out clean) pulled them out, turned off the oven, and then after about 5 minutes of cooling time, I took one out and peeled away the wrapper. To my dismay, the wrapper peeled away most of the muffin! So, I put the oven back on, and stuck them in for another 5 minutes or so. Well, they taste good, but they don't peel away from the wrapper nicely. Next time I think I will just spray the pan instead of using the wrappers. Needless to say, even though I will eat them, I don't feel comfortable delivering unattractive muffins. I guess I'll have to give it another go soon! 16 of them went into the freezer so when I need a "fix" this will at least be a healthier option to choose when I'm peering into the misty freezer after dinner.

Unattractive double chocolate
zucchini muffins - ready for
the freezer.
Chores: I felt like I did a ton of chores today, but I honestly couldn't tell you what the heck I did. Ever have one of those days? I mostly spent time cleaning out and organizing the kids closets. Thankfully everything it just about organized now. A little more to do tomorrow, and I should be done for the season! I also did several loads of dishes and made lunch for the kids and dinner for everyone. Tonight was chicken quesadillas which were pretty good. Squeak complained as soon as she saw them. For a while dinner was a dreaded time of the day. Squeak would usually complain about what we were having which then ended in arguments and time outs and none of us enjoying our meal. We have a new rule in the house which has worked quite nicely in our favor. If she scoffs at whatever is on her plate, she can excuse herself and go to bed. We don't yell, we don't argue, and there are no time outs. Squeak makes her own decisions. She has on two occasions excused herself and gone to bed, but then about 30-45 minutes later thought better of her decision and come back down to eat her dinner. So, thankfully this evening she thought better of her comment and did end up eating her entire dinner. Moms - 1, Squeak - 0

While I clean out closets, the babies
play along side me.

Or check out the books!

Reading: Today I read a bunch of picture books to Squeak while the babies listened. You'll be hearing more about this at a later date, but no specifics now I'm afraid :)

Random Thoughts: I occasionally think about our old house. It was such a cozy house. Don't get me wrong, I do LOVE our current house and neighborhood. But I loved living in our old home. It was snug, designed just the way we wanted it, and I could clean the entire house in about 2 hours. A bigger house and more kids means a LOT more cleaning! I feel like I pretty much clean up after myself (though D will likely tell you otherwise), but even with cleaning up after myself everything still needs so much cleaning. It's also more work to clean when you stay at home because you are actually living in your house instead of letting things be as they were when you left in the morning. That part of staying at home is a bit trying at times. Not to mention all these baby toys!! I feel as though we are drowning in them. Every single toy is used on a daily basis, but it feels excessive. But, I'm just enjoying it all now. We've already said our final goodbye to many of the "baby" contraptions that have been passed along, donated, or sold for newer babies. I can't even believe that my babies will be one soon. They amaze me every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment