Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Day 4

Today is/was technically my first real day as a SAHM. I counted this past weekend just because I packed up my office and desk and left a year's worth of sub plans before I left the building. A common question I get is, "If you're going to be a stay at home mom, why are you only taking one year to do it?" This is a completely reasonable question. Daycare for twins isn't cheap, and it's hard to find. Most in home daycares can only take 2 kids under the age of 2 - so they are IMPOSSIBLE to find. Daycare centers also have a waiting list. The cost of a nanny is ridiculous. Not to mention that I have no sick time left after using it all up for maternity leave. So if a kid is sick, I'd have to take leave without pay anyway. Yes, D can take off too, but her time is limited. So, I'm only staying at home for one year, because while I love my children and my family more than anything, I also love my job. I love my kids I work with, and I love the people I work with. I can't imagine leaving them longer than a year. It would also be unaffordable to stay at home for longer than one year due to health care costs and the cost of paying the mortgage and piles of other bills. So, there you have it.

People: My mom came and joined us on our jaunt to the library this morning and stayed through to the afternoon so I could take Squeak to her annual check-up. She's in the 76th percentile for height and super healthy. She was brave and took her shots like a champ, though these hurt a bit more than the flu shot she got last year so there were a few tears. I'm glad she is brave. I was totally a big wimp when it came to getting shots. I remember screaming so much that I had to be restrained whenever I got a shot or blood drawn.

Baby television. All you need is a cat
on the opposite side of a glass door.

Places/Activities: This morning we got up early and D and I worked out together. We never make small talk while working out, but it's nice to do an activity side by side knowing that we are making healthy choices. It's also good to take time out for ourselves. D has started listening to the Serial Podcast and is completely hooked. Which reminds me that I still need to download the Serial Season 2 podcast! Now would be a great time to listen to it! Then the babies and I went for a walk while Squeak got ready for school and D for work. It was Squeak's first day of her last year of preschool! I can't even believe how much my baby is growing up!

After Avy (my boy twin) had his physical and occupational therapy this morning, we packed up and went to the library for the babies first story time. I was impressed with how well both babies paid attention to the stories and participated in the songs. Puff clapped her hands through most of the songs, and Avy shook the little shaker eggs like it was his job. We are already signed up again for next week for any of my stay at home mom/dad friends who want to join us!

Good Deeds: I was made aware in an email that the art department at my school was in need of a small bike to use for students to draw. We were happy to help out with that since we have more than enough for each kid at this point! Glad it found a good home!

Chores: Laundry… again. Big surprise here! There really wasn't any extra time for more than one load of laundry today.

First Day of School!
Reading: I recently joined a virtual book club with some of my fellow twin mama friends who live across the country (and in other countries too). Our first pick was Entwined: Sisters and Secrets in the Silent World of Artist Judith Scott by Joyce Wallace Scott. I received the book today from Amazon and read about 40 pages during nap time. After the kids were all bathed and everyone had eaten, Squeak and I curled up with Dingoes at Dinnertime (#20 of the Magic Tree House books). After we read the entire book, I couldn't wait to get back to Entwined. I loved it so much I finished the entire book. I highly recommend reading it. The writing was beautiful and I was completely sucked in right from the get-go. It's a book for art lovers, for twin mamas, for twins, for adoptees, for mothers who have given their children up for adoption, for those with a loved one with Down Syndrome, and basically anyone who wants to read a beautiful and tragic story with an inspiring ending. I had seen the work of Judith Scott at the Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore last January. Her artwork was amazing. I highly recommend a trip out to see it if you can.

Random Thoughts: If our country had a better maternity leave policy, or even a better leave policy in general, I think things would really turn around. I know I'm extremely fortunate to have this one year.

No comments:

Post a Comment