Friday, September 23, 2016

Day 20

Thursday

9.22.16

Avy's preferred reading position
Insomnia again last night, which made it difficult to get up this morning. I'm hoping for a better night's sleep tonight so that I can get up and exercise in the morning. I've gotten in 3 out of my 5 desired workouts for the week so far. I keep telling myself that I can stick to my goal!

People: My mom came over this afternoon to help out with watching kiddos while my friend and I met to make plans for upcoming playdates and business interactions. My mom is always so willing to help out with the kids, and for that I am always grateful!

Places/Activities: Today was a busy day for chores. But we still managed to have a playdate and Squeak had her ballet and tap class. She seems to really enjoy it. Especially the "dressing up" part! While she was at dance tapping her little heart out, Avy, Puff and I went across the street to the library (third time this week) to pick up the next Magic Tree House book - hooray! I had to put it on hold since it never seemed to be on the shelf.

Good Deeds: A teacher I used to work with is collecting books for the new free library they put in at her school and is looking to fill it with some children's books. I was able to find several books to donate and will deliver them in the next week. Until then, if anyone has any to donate, let me know and I'd be happy to take them over as well!

Chores: Today was a massive chore day. 2 loads of laundry, mowed and trimmed the lawn, and dusted and vacuumed the upstairs and downstairs. I'm going to wonder what to do with myself tomorrow since most of the chores for the week are done. I only got to clean the kids bathroom today but will hopefully get to the others tomorrow.

Reading: I sadly did not get to finish The Interstellar Age last night, but I DID get to finish it today! Here are a few of my thoughts… I think I might need to write a letter to National Geographic. All this time we have been thinking that Neptune was a gas giant (because we read it in a National Geographic book). According to the book, Neptune is NOT a gas giant and is in fact an ice giant! I also kinda want to go through and listen to all of the music that was put on record that was sent out along with the Voyager. Since it appears that I favor nonfiction books, I'm going to select a fiction book. My next selection will be All American Boys by Jason Reynolds which is this year's Maryland One Book. Excited to read it!

Squeak and I were excited to read the next Magic Tree House which was #25 - Stage Fright on a Summer Night. I never really cared too much about Magic Tree House books when I was working in the library in my early twenties. But now I can see why parents and kids alike enjoy them so much. While the premise is a little repetitive, I do love that they expose kids to different places and different events in history. Hopefully Squeak will remember this as she moves forward in school.


Random Thoughts: Have you ever read the book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell? It's basically about how depending on when you were born, you may or may not have opportunities that others won't. JIm Bell (author of The Interstellar Age) happened to be in the right place at the right time and because he randomly saw someone posting fliers, volunteered, and then had the opportunity to become part of the Voyager team. He comments that if he had been born 10 years earlier, he would have never been part of the team. While I do agree that the timing of his birth and choice of college played a large part in his involvement, it was also because he was a go-getter. He went out to seek opportunities. He took risks and wanted to be involved in something greater than himself. This is what I want for my kids. I hope that when opportunity comes knocking, they'll answer with a big, "yes!" and that they won't miss out on anything that comes their way. I wonder all the time where they will end up, what they will do… It is definitely a privilege to be their Mama.

It never fails. As soon as I move one baby to
where I need it to be, the other baby gets into
mischief. I moved Puff upstairs and when I
went to get Avy he had already begun emptying
the shoe bin. No wonder it's hard to get stuff done!

Maybe one day he will be a home designer.
Aside from reading, his favorite thing to do
is rearrange the furniture!





No comments:

Post a Comment