Sunday, September 25, 2016

Day 23

Sunday

9.25.16

People: Today we hung out with one of our friends who thankfully is always eager to get together with us and spend time with the kids. We give her the honorary "aunt" title because she really is family to us.  She always makes it a point to check in and visit and is always excited to join us on whatever adventure we are taking!

Places/Activities: We went to the Maryland Renaissance Festival today. It's been quite a few years since we've been (is in the last time we went was at least 5 years ago before we had kids in tow). Going with three under 5 wasn't easy! There are quite a few hills there and even though I didn't get in a formal workout this morning I sure as heck got in a workout by pushing the double stroller through the grounds! Here's a pic D took of me getting a running start so I could haul the kiddos up and over the hill to the van as we were leaving! Squeak was running along behind to catch up.

I seriously think I could just eat my way through the festival. There are so many delicious food stands there. Though there were almost a little too many… To me it seemed as though there were less shops and more food stands than in previous years. We did have a really nice time and it was an absolutely gorgeous day to be out and about. We were able to take in two shows, Squeak went through and animal exhibit and got her face painted, and we did quite a bit of walking.

Good Deeds: Today I saved a spider from certain doom. I'm probably one of the few people that actually likes spiders. I especially love them outside to catch whatever annoying insect may want to enter my home! I was able to encourage this sweet little jumper to hop on a napkin long enough to get him out the door and onto the deck. I think he is looking at me with gratitude. Growing up I remember finding little jumping spiders in the house and getting them to jump from one end of the house to the other before getting them outside.

Chores: Another load of laundry today, but nothing else! We prefer to keep Sundays for fun, rest, and relaxation.

Reading: I did end up finishing All American Boys last night. I wasn't thrilled with the ending, but I do think that the book has a lot of value and that it brings light to a topic many prefer to keep in the dark. I highly recommend it.

Today we had quite a bit of downtime after our excursion to the Ren Fest this morning. D watched football and I read another book, Head Case by Cole Cohen. This is an autobiography of a woman who has difficulty remembering things, is terrible at math and science, and until she was in high school had absolutely no idea why she had such issues. As it turns out, she has a hole in her brain the size of a lemon (which helps to explain the cover. Otherwise you're like, "why is there a lemon on that outline of a person's head?") It's kind of amazing because she has gone against everything that science tells us of what she "should" be. She "should" be a vegetable. She "should" be severely mentally disabled. And yet here is a girl with a Masters degree and written a book. Life isn't ever "easy" and we have to work with what we are given. Cole takes what she is given and brings it to an entirely new level. I throughly enjoyed it.


Avy listens to the puppet show while having
a drink.
Even Puff enjoys a good puppet show.

The little princess.
Me and the Puff enjoying "O and Lala."
Little Squeak has been wanting her face
painted for a while now. Today her wish
came true!

Mr. Kitty looks mighty relaxed...
Random Thoughts: I think of these random thoughts as a window into my mind. A time for me to share the things that pop into my head for the kids to read when they are grown in case I forget (because I do forget a lot) to tell them. When I think back to when I was younger, it was the "random" things that my teachers, parents, and grandparents told me that I remember most clearly. I hope that through my random thoughts my own kids will take my words to heart and hopefully it will help them to make the right decisions when/if necessary.

Yesterday was the annual "Walk Like MADD." I think each of us knows someone that has been affected by drunk driving. Either we know someone who has done it, or someone who has suffered as a result of someone who has driven under the influence. Darlings, if you are reading this please know that if you are ever in a situation where you have had a little too much fun, please call your moms to pick you up from where ever you are. It doesn't matter the time. We'll be there. Just make the right choice.

*TRIGGER WARNING*

Every year around this time I think about the "that could've been my mom" night. In October of 2003, my mom was hanging out at my house. I think we had been shopping together that day… one conversation turned into another and another, and pretty soon we looked at the clock and laughed at the time - it was so late! I put my hand on the door knob to walk my mom out to her car, and at that moment heard the speeding of a car, the screech of brakes, and the sound of a car crashing into something else. My mom and I shared a look of horror before I threw open the door and grabbed my phone to dial 911. I don't think I will ever forget the look of the body slumped over the wheel or the young man crying and rolling around on the floor outside of the car, or the sound of the woman in the backseat screaming, or the sound of the young man in the other car yelling for help.

For years after that accident I kept my shades drawn so I wouldn't have to see the cross on the sidewalk across the street from my house. But I've thought… what if my mom and I ended our conversation just two minutes earlier? What if she had backed out of my driveway at the moment that car with the drunk 19 year old boy traveling 75 in a 35 crossed the line? My life would be very different than it is now. I don't share this story to be macabre or to ruin your night… but the decision you make should you drink and drive won't just ruin a night. It will ruin a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment