Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Day 26

Wednesday

9.28.16

I consciously made the decision NOT to get up and work out this morning. Too much to do today and I didn't want to be rushed! Instead I got up to empty the dishwasher, pack up the camera, and get things ready for our big day of filming.

People: My dad and stepmom came over this morning to watch the babies so Squeak and I could do some filming. After we got home, they stuck around and I made grilled cheese sandwiches for everyone for lunch (it's a specialty of mine). If Grilled Cheese and Co wasn't already in existence, I would probably open my own ;) Then this evening, my mom came over to stay with all three of the munchkins while I went to Costco and the Library. 

Squeak and I having fun trying on glasses
from our Halloween decoration box.
Places/Activities: Today we spent the morning filming for our little business venture, "Family Classrooms." It went pretty well considering we are working with two four year olds and a two year old. I got home, downloaded the footage, and went to start editing. Then I realized… there was NO SOUND. Like, SERIOUSLY!?!?! I CANNOT BELIEVE I MADE SUCH A ROOKIE MISTAKE! But, it was a major learning experience. Not only for this project, but also when I go back to work next year. It's such a simple mistake, and one that is made frequently. I didn't have the mic plugged in far enough because there wasn't any sound. If I hadn't plugged it in at all, I would still have sound from the camera's built in mic. But I had NOTHING. The good news is that now we can move forward and I have learned to double check the sound and picture before shooting. It's been a blessing in disguise because we learned some valuable information about our kids and the way we want to move forward with this in the future.

Squeak and I decorated for Halloween this afternoon. It's a little early and I went against my better judgement, but I know I'm not going to have  a lot of time coming up between starting to teach online, a big one year party for Puff and Avy, and the launch of Family Classrooms. So, today was the day!
She's ready to rock and roll!

Good Deeds: Tonight I saved a cricket and tossed him back outside. This was a challenge. Everytime I tried to cup my hands around him, he managed to hop right on out. So I ended up using one of Squeaker's cups to trap him and slid a piece of paper underneath to toss him out. Reminded me of the time I trapped a mouse under a courtesy cup at the movie theater where I worked when I was 20/21. THAT was an interesting shift. Anyway, a few minutes after I tossed out the cricket, I was standing at the front door saying goodbye to my mom (we were both still in the house) when out of the corner of my eye I saw a fox. There he was, coming right up to the stoop to eat out of Mr. Kitty's bowl. The first words out of my mouth were, "Look! It's Pop!" You probably don't know this, but my grandfather took great pleasure out of watching the fox that would visit in our old neighborhood. Between my grandfather and I, we always made sure he was well fed due to destruction of his habitat. For years after my grandfather passed, I always made my offering to the fox. Even now, my mom will go back and leave something for him down in the woods on the empty lot that was my grandfather's property. I think the fox is my grandfather's spirit animal. So now whenever I see one, I always feel like his presence is here and he is watching over my family. Well look at that, some random information for you and I haven't even gotten to that part of the blog yet!

Chores: Today I cleaned the first floor of the house (bathroom included) so the Squeak and I could decorate with Halloween decorations. We are going to be doing some activities for Family Classrooms at the house tomorrow and I want to make sure we are decorated and ready to go!

I also went shopping at Costco (exciting!) and returned some books to the library (and got new ones while I was there). 

Reading: Going to bed right now so I can finish reading The Day My Mother Left! This has been dragged out for much too long now. I have other books calling my name and I can't keep them waiting any longer.

Random Thoughts: Last night as I was uploading our very first YouTube video to our Family Classrooms YouTube channel, I was thinking about how one of my students from two years ago would create the thumbnail for each YouTube video on his channel and how he told me about monetization. I often think about him and wonder how he was doing (he's in film school in California now). And then, BAM! This morning I woke up, checked my email, and there out of the blue was an email from him! I think that in some ways we are all connected at another level, which is why we sometimes feel an instant connection to others whom we've only just met. Kinda cool, huh? I love when seemingly random stuff happens like this!

I feel like I'm missing something… but I'm mentally done and checked out. See you tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment