Sunday, September 18, 2016

Day 15

Saturday
9.17.16

This morning I slept in until almost 5:30 am, spent time browsing Facebook on my phone, and I can feel the difference. So much more tired today. Must. Get. Up. Earlier. Tomorrow.

People: A day well spent by celebrating my friend's son's birthday and hanging out with the neighbors at our annual block party.
Avy enjoyed the swing set at the birthday.

Places/Activities: Today was a day of leisure. I took Squeak and Avy to a birthday party this morning. Puff had some one on one time with D as they went shopping at Wegman's together. The birthday party was a ton of fun. Squeak especially had fun making a magic wand filled with confetti and sparkles. Our afternoon was spent hanging out with the neighbors at our annual block party. D made homemade mac and cheese and I made strawberry pretzel salad. Everything was super yummy!

He enjoyed the rock box, too!
Squeak having a picnic lunch at the
birthday party.

Good Deeds: While it's advertised as a "horrible party game for horrible people," Cards Against Humanity has got to be one of those awesome companies out there that is flying under the radar. I don't really ever see any advertisements for them, but the folks that make Cards Against Humanity are really doing some awesome things for humanity. Today I purchased a card pack that accompanies the original game that "will provide a full tuition scholarship for a woman seeking a degree in science, engineering, or math." As of today they have raised almost one million dollars. Pretty awesome. In fact, for any of the card packs you purchase, the money raised is donated to charity. The holidays are right around the corner… check out their website! Your money will be going to a good cause!

Chores: Nope. Not one chore today. This is why I like to work on chores during the weekday, so that at least one of the weekend days we can have a day of rest.

Reading: I read some more of the book Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates. While the cover quotes Cosmopolitan as saying it's "A must-read for every woman" I'd have to say the opposite. I think it's a must read for every man. So far I'm finding the book very frustrating and giving me panic attacks as I think about my children growing up.

Puff did not take a very long afternoon nap. As a result, she got some one on one time with Mama (me) and we read several books together. She was completely hung up on Eric Carle's Colors! Colors! and continued to press button after button again and again. This kept her entertained for quite some time. I just had to capture a little video because she is so intense about her books!

D and Puff enjoying dinner at the block
party!


Random Thoughts: I don't remember her exact words, but when I was young, my mother told me that as I got older and made friends that I should surround myself with people that had similar interests as me, inspire me, and with people that built me up and didn't bring me down. I would say that this was some good advice considering I made my first real friend in preschool at 4 years of age and she is still my best friend (that's over 30 years of friendship). Fast forward… In graduate school, of all the people I met while there, I added 5 to what I would call my "friend" circle. One of those friends I ended up working with after graduation. Today we got to see her as we celebrated her son's birthday. She inspires me with her creativity and excitement. If she is planning a party, you know it's going to be fabulous. Always so much care and consideration goes into every little detail to make the day perfect - not just for her own kid, but for everyone else's as well.

And while we can't "choose" our neighbors, we certainly did get lucky. Our neighbors always look out for each other, and today we had our 4th annual block party. Always a good time with the adults and kids playing outside together. Some of my favorite days of childhood were playing outside until the streetlights came on with all of the neighborhood kids.

I may have mentioned before that while this blog is to document my time at home with the kiddos, it's also so that as my children grow up, they have this to read, to remember, and to reflect. So my little darlings, if you are reading this now I hope you remember to choose your friends wisely. Make friends who will build you up, inspire you, and be there when you need them. Your friends are the extended family you create and they reflect who you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment