Saturday, October 8, 2016

Day 36

Saturday

10.8.16
Our three pumpkins! 

People: Just the five of us today!

Places/Activities: D did the grocery run early this morning to get it out of the way. We decided to make the most of the cloudy morning and went to Larriland Farm to pick our pumpkins off the vine before the rain came. The babies were quite excited with the pumpkin patch. Avery especially couldn't wait to sample the hay. Silly boy! Scroll to the bottom of this post for farm pics.

Good Deeds: No real good deeds again today. Somedays we get to do several, and other days not so much….

Chores: This afternoon I vacuumed the downstairs so at least that is off the list until next week.

Reading: I finished the book Without Annette by Jane B. Mason today. It was fairly decent. A nice quick read. I needed one of those after Moby Dick!

My handsome little guy! He looked so
sweet in his big boy jeans and his little boots!
Random Thoughts: Sometimes that I can be absolutely ridiculous. The babies will be turning one next weekend and I had it in my mind that I wanted to do cupcakes with yellow frosting and green stars and green frosting with yellow stars. Well, the star sprinkles only come in a mixed container. So I spent about two hours separating yellow and green stars from the container. Well, at least it's done now and I can be happy. Good grief!

Recipes: Today I decided to make a harvest themed ice cream! I baked our apples from our Hungry Harvest box using the following recipe:

Baked Apples (Modified from imagination_co from all recipes)

Ingredients:
- butter to coat an 11x7 glass baking dish
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 3 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 5 -7 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 5 tablespoons of water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease glass dish with butter.
Mix all of the ingredients above (except the water, butter, and apples) in a bowl
Put a layer of apples in the glass baking dish.
Sprinkle with the mixed ingredients
Continue layering and sprinkling until all of the apples and mixture are gone.
Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with 5 tablespoons of water. Bake another 15 minutes.
Cool and then refrigerate.

While the apples were baking, I could start on the ice cream part. This is the recipe I have found that I like the best.

Ice Cream (from Food Network)

2 cups of whipping cream - beat until peaks form
1 can of sweetened condensed milk whisked with 2 teaspoons vanilla and a pinch of salt

Fold half of the whipped whipping cream into the whisked mixture. Then pour all of the mixture into the remaining whipped cream. Fold in together until lightly blended. Freeze for 2 hours.


After the ice cream froze for two hours, I then took my cooled baked apples and divided them in half. I used an emulsion blender on the first half and then stirred that part into the ice cream which was beginning to set. The second half I then finely chopped and gently stirred in to the ice cream as well. Finally, I added some caramel ice cream topping and zigzagged a spoon through the entire mixture, making sure that the apples and caramel were spread throughout. I froze for an additional 4 hours. The results? Ah. May. Zing!!!! Definitely my best homemade ice cream yet!

Apples are ready for the oven!
The finished product - Baked Apple Caramel
Ice Cream! It was delicious!


















No comments:

Post a Comment