Sunday, October 23, 2016

Day 51

Sunday

10.23.16

People: We got to see a friend of mine today who I haven't seen in a while and it was lovely to spend a little time with her this morning.

Places/Activities: D took Squeak to Whole Foods this morning. All the kiddos had baths at various parts of the day. We played a lot. I build block towers and the babies knocked them down. We all went to a local park and enjoyed some fresh air outside. It was a lovely day. We also all watched Room on the Broom. It's SUPER cute. It's the second time we have watched it in a week because Squeak likes it so much. I had thought the book was adorable, but the animation in this video is AMAZINGLY adorable. I also noticed that Amazon sells the plush toys too. Not that the kids need any more stuffed animals, but that kitty cat is SUPER tempting…


Good Deeds: My godson is away at college. I remember being away at school and being very lonely (I only lasted 1 semester and then came home to commute to and from school. I also knew that my grandmother was very bad off, and wanted to be home and closer to family). So, I figured it might be nice to send a little care package of food and a book. He's a very avid reader - or at least he was before college, so I'm hoping that he hasn't read the book that I purchased for him yet. He can always return it for free and exchange. Just a note. I have sent him care packages before and typically shop at the store and then mail him a box. Shipping is usually not less than $10. D suggested that I send him a packaged through Amazon Prime Pantry this time. That was an awesome suggestion! I had a 5.99 shipping credit, so it cost me nothing to send. Win!


Chores: Just picking up the mess the children leave behind! Although I was pretty impressed with Puff tonight. I sang the clean up song, and as I was putting the blocks back into the container, she started to help! She's such a smart cookie! Avy quickly turned and crawled in the opposite direction. Ha!

Reading: As I warned, I put down my other book and picked up a new one. MUCH better. I already feel the relief. Though not for long… I'm reading The Beekeeper's Lament by Hannah Nordhaus. Dang. So messed up. So heart breaking. I love the description and how informative the book is about bees and beekeeping. If I wasn't so afraid of being stung and going into anaphylactic shock, I'd be game for keeping a hive. I have a friend who is a beekeeper. I think I'm gonna pass this one over to her when I'm finished (if she hasn't read it already).


Squeak and I also finished reading Magic Tree House #31 - Summer of the Sea Serpent. Not only are these Magic Tree House books getting longer, but they are also getting scary! So far she doesn't seem bothered by it, but good grief! I wasn't expecting the scary fantasy.


Random Thoughts: I'm very lucky that all three of my babies seem to love books so much already. It makes me so happy to see those little darlings crawl over to the book bin and grab out books to look at. They are so happy. Squeak sits and looks at books for hours. Tonight while we were reading, she pointed out words randomly and told me what they said. I was shocked when she pointed several sentences ahead of where I was reading and said, "that says Merlin, right Mama?" Um, yes. Why yes it does. D and I usually spell things out loud to talk "in code" so the kids don't know what we are talking about. Well, that might work for the babies now, but not for Squeak. It won't be long before they outsmart their parents.


Recipes: This morning I tried a new recipe. While I am always making overnight oatmeal and pancakes to keep in the freezer for the babies, it's also nice to have a few other quick microwaveable items. So, I tried an egg and cheese mini muffin from The Seasoned Mom. It worked out pretty well. They are quite tasty. However, even though the prep and cook time only totals 20 minutes, plan for at least 20 minutes for clean up. Good GRIEF! It took FOR-EVER to scrub out that mini muffin pan even though I sprayed each compartment with cooking spray. It was ridiculous. I modified the recipe a little bit, so here is my version.

Egg and Cheese Mini Muffins

- 6 large eggs
- 3 tbsp milk (use whatever milk you would ordinarily use)
- 1/4 tsp salt
Egg and Cheese Mini Muffins. They are like
bite sized omelets!
- pinch of pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

whisk all ingredients together (except cheddar cheese)
fill mini muffin pan 2/3 of the way (be sure and spray with cooking spray first)
top equally with shredded cheese
bake for 8-10 minutes
cool in pan for 3 minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool
These are great for the freezer!

Everyone was completely mesmerized by
watching Room on the Broom.

Snuggle Puff in the swing.


Showing off his cheesy grin!

Such a happy boy!

A swing for two!


He seems excited to eat the donut… but
he wasn't a fan. Puff on the other hand...

Enjoying the lemon donuts I made yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment